[OMPI users] MPI for microcontrolles without OS
Mateusz Tasz
2017-03-08 17:00:49 UTC
Hello,

I am a student. I am attracted by concept of MPI and i would like to
apply ths idea to bare metel devices like mictrocontrollers e.g.
stm32. But your solution requires an operating system on board. May I
ask why is it necessary? Can I neglect it? And if so how can I do it?
I ask because I'd like to apply this concept to IoT system where data
can be processed by few device in local neighbourhood.

Thank in advance,
Mateusz Tasz
r***@open-mpi.org

Mateusz Tasz
2017-03-08 18:41:27 UTC

Thank for Your answer. Although I am still confused. As I know TCP
communication is not a problem for microcontrollers, so that cannot be
crucial cause for OS choice. Maybe something else is also necessary -
maybe acording memory - do you know?
Do you know where I can find a ported version of OMPI to
microcontrollers(hopefully with documentation :) ? I admit that
having OS on the board is nice and gives a high level of abstraction.
But I belive that sometimes the lower level would be necessary - thats
why I force to find a solutions.
About this ported version - was it working properly?

Thanks in advance,
Mateusz Tasz
2017-03-08 19:53:42 UTC
A quick web search can answer your quest, I believe - here are a few hits I got (Texas Instruments has been active in this area):

http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/MCSDK_HPC_3.x_OpenMPI_Under_Review <http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/MCSDK_HPC_3.x_OpenMPI_Under_Review>
https://e2e.ti.com/support/applications/high-performance-computing/f/952/t/440905 <https://e2e.ti.com/support/applications/high-performance-computing/f/952/t/440905>

Several of our members have Raspberry Pi systems running OMPI - looks something like this one:

https://www.hackster.io/darthbison/raspberry-pi-cluster-with-mpi-4602cb <https://www.hackster.io/darthbison/raspberry-pi-cluster-with-mpi-4602cb>

and here’s a little book on how to do it:

https://www.packtpub.com/hardware-and-creative/raspberry-pi-super-cluster <https://www.packtpub.com/hardware-and-creative/raspberry-pi-super-cluster>

or one of many online explanations:

http://www.southampton.ac.uk/~sjc/raspberrypi/pi_supercomputer_southampton_web.pdf <http://www.southampton.ac.uk/~sjc/raspberrypi/pi_supercomputer_southampton_web.pdf>

HTH