[OMPI users] Cast MPI inside another MPI?
Diego Avesani
2016-11-25 11:30:30 UTC
Dear all,

I have the following question. Is it possible to cast an MPI inside another
MPI?
I would like to have to level of parallelization, but I would like to avoid
the MPI-openMP paradigm.

Another question. I normally use openMPI but I would like to read something
to understand and learn all its potentialities. Can anyone suggest me any
book or documentation?

Thanks

Diego
George Bosilca
2016-11-25 20:16:47 UTC
Diego,

MPI+MPI is a well known parallel programming paradigm.Why are you trying to
avoid MPI + OpenMP ?

Open MPI is a fully 3.1-compatible implementation of the MPI standard, and
as such it implements all API described in the version 3.1 of the MPI
standard (http://mpi-forum.org/docs/). Otherwise our FAQ and mailing list
is the best place to learn about particular capabilities of the Open MPI
software stack.

George.
Jeff Hammond
2016-11-28 01:07:47 UTC
Have you tried subcommunicators? MPI is well-suited to hierarchical
parallelism since MPI-1 days.

Additionally, MPI-3 enables MPI+MPI as George noted.

Your question is probably better suited for Stack Overflow, since it's not
implementation-specific...

Jeff