[OMPI users] Error when using Einstein toolkit
Swarnim Shashank
2018-04-04 20:59:09 UTC
Hello,

I am an undergraduate student. I have just started learning MPI and I have
to use the Einstein Toolkit code which uses MPI for my project.
I get this error when I try to check the output of my simulation:

*Fatal error in PMPI_Comm_rank: Invalid communicator, error
stack:PMPI_Comm_rank(110): MPI_Comm_rank(comm=0xe0cc28e0,
rank=0x7ffd2aa27d38) failedPMPI_Comm_rank(68).: Invalid
communicator[unset]: write_line error; fd=-1 buf=:cmd=abort
exitcode=873024773:system msg for write_line failure : Bad file descriptor*

Please let me know what the problem is and how to solve it.

​Regards
Swarnim Shashank​
Jeff Squyres (jsquyres)
2018-04-05 02:09:49 UTC
Greetings, and welcome to the wonderful world of MPI. :-)

First thing to note is that there are multiple different software packages that implement the MPI specification. Open MPI -- the mailing list that you sent to -- is one of them. MPICH, from Argonne National Labs, is another.

From the error message you included, it looks like you're using MPICH. You'll need to contact them for any specific assistance with MPICH (they're an entirely different group from us).

That being said, the error that you display is usually indicative of an error in your program: i.e., you passed a bad communicator argument to MPI_Comm_rank(). Double check your source code and make sure that the communicator parameter value that you're passing to MPI_Comm_rank() is initialized / valid / etc.

Sidenote: As a general rule, we won't do homework for students on this list -- so don't just send us your code and say "please fix this for me" (I only mention this because unbelievably, some people do exactly this :-( ). We're happy to help with general MPI questions, but you need to do your assignments yourself.
***@cisco.com