[OMPI users] Fatal errors during installation OpenMPI 3.0.0
Czarek Kowalski
2018-01-12 23:13:17 UTC
I am going to create a program which realizes one heuristic algorithm,
i.e. program launches 4 process (on one, single computer) which
realize algorithm, then aggregates results from 4 process and choose
best result. That in future. I met problems with installation(?)
OpenMPI. I am using Ubuntu. First, I have installed OpenMPI using
instructions from this site:

http://www.simunano.com/2015/07/how-to-install-openmpi.html

Then I made programs from /openmpi-3.0.0/examples/ and tried to launch
a program, I am posting below what I have received:

***@czarek-Inspiron-5558:~/openmpi-3.0.0/examples$ mpiexec -n 4 ./hello_c

*** An error occurred in MPI_Init

*** on a NULL communicator

*** MPI_ERRORS_ARE_FATAL (processes in this communicator will now abort,

*** and potentially your MPI job)

[czarek-Inspiron-5558:2456] Local abort before MPI_INIT completed
completed successfully, but am not able to aggregate error messages,
and not able to guarantee that all other processes were killed!

Primary job terminated normally, but 1 process returned

a non-zero exit code.. Per user-direction, the job has been aborted.

mpiexec detected that one or more processes exited with non-zero
status, thus causing

the job to be terminated. The first process to do so was:

Process name: [[25779,1],0]

Exit code: 1

I have found an advice, that I should reinstall OpenMPI. I have simply
move to trash folder /openmpi/ and I have installed OpenMPI using
instructions from this site:

http://lsi.ugr.es/jmantas/pdp/ayuda/datos/instalaciones/Install_OpenMPI_en.pdf

Then I made programs from new folder /openmpi-3.0.0/examples/ and
tried to launch a program, with the same results like previous.
Sometimes, after launching, this error "was cloned" and was displayed
2 - 4 times (maybe the error appeared for more than 1 process). What I
have done to overcome the error:
* reinstallation (like mentioned above)

* I found an advice that maybe environmental variables are added
twice. Indeed, but I have repaired that, now I have:

***@czarek-Inspiron-5558:~$ echo $PATH
/home/czarek/bin:/home/czarek/.local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/games:/snap/bin:/home/czarek/.openmpi/bin

***@czarek-Inspiron-5558:~$ echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
/home/czarek/.openmpi/lib

* sudo apt-get update, didn't help

I would like to add, that I have configured IDE - CodeBlocks to
compile OpenMPI using instructions from site below:

https://pl.scribd.com/document/210457973/How-to-Run-MPI-Under-CodeBlocks

I have created a new project, copied code from helo_c to the project,
compiled (without errors) and run:

Hello, world, I am 0 of 1, (Open MPI v3.0.0, package: Open MPI
***@czarek-Inspiron-5558 Distribution, ident: 3.0.0, repo rev:
v3.0.0, Sep 12, 2017, 122)

But I think that it was simply launched on a single process. Could You
tell me what should I do to run OpenMPI programs successfully?

Further informations:

OpenMPI 3.0.0 from openmpi-3.0.0.tar.gz

ubuntu 16.10

Cheers,