[OMPI users] KNEM errors when running OMPI 2.0.1
Juan A. Cordero Varelaq
2017-01-17 12:16:05 UTC
Hi, I am running on my SCG cluster the following script (using qsub):

#!/bin/bash
#$-cwd
#$ -S /bin/bash
#$ -V
#$ -q normal
#$ -pe mpi 40
#$ -P Lab219
#$ -o output
#$ -e error
module load PhyML/3.3
mpirun --mca pml yalla -np 40 phyml-mpi -i proteic -b 10 -d aa

where phyml-mpi is the parallel version for OMPI of the program PhyML.
--mca pml yalla option is called to used MXM (I have mellanox OFED).

It gives me lots of errors related to KNEM (see error and output files
from qsub in the attachments). However, I specified the KNEM directory
when installing OMPI. I can't really understand such errors, and would
appreciate any hint on this issue. I have run open-mpi on an own script
(just a loop running inside something as: command --help) and got no error.

Thanks in advance
Joshua Ladd
2017-01-17 16:55:50 UTC
Can you please attach your configure log. It looks like both MXM and the
Vader BTL (used for OSC) are complaining because they can't find your KNEM
installation.

Josh

Juan A. Cordero Varelaq
Gilles Gouaillardet
2017-01-18 10:36:35 UTC
Juan,

You also need to make sure knem and MOFED drivers are loaded on all the
compute nodes.
You also need to double check the permissions of /dev/knem

Cheers,

Gilles

On Wednesday, January 18, 2017, Juan A. Cordero Varelaq <
Juan A. Cordero Varelaq
2017-01-18 13:36:57 UTC

knem and MOFED drivers are installed in /opt:

* /opt/knem-1.1.90mlnx2
* /opt/mellanox/fca
* /opt/mellanox/mxm
* /opt/mellanox/openshmem

However/dev/knem does not exist.

Cheers,

Juan
Gilles Gouaillardet
2017-01-18 14:08:39 UTC
Juan,

So you need to load the knem module
sudo modprobe knem
and then you can check it is correctly loaded with lsmod

with the permissions you expect

Cheers,

Gilles

On Wednesday, January 18, 2017, Juan A. Cordero Varelaq <
Hi,
Juan A. Cordero Varelaq
2017-01-18 14:16:30 UTC

when I try sudo modprobe knem, I get:
FATAL: Error inserting knem
(/lib/modules/3.13.0-37-generic/updates/dkms/knem.ko): Invalid module format

Cheers,

Juan
Post by Gilles Gouaillardet
Juan,
So you need to load the knem module
sudo modprobe knem
and then you can check it is correctly loaded with lsmod
not with the permissions you expect
Juan A. Cordero Varelaq
2017-01-23 14:15:55 UTC

I have run the same command but disabling KNEM (with -mca
btl_sm_use_knem 0), and it gives me, still, the same errors. Futhermore,
I've noticed when I run, for instance, ompi_info, I get one of the same
errors as when running mpirun:

Warning: Conflicting CPU frequencies detected, using: 2001.000000

Does anyone know what may be happening?

Cheers