[OMPI users] Cygwin64 mpiexec freezes
Llelan D.
2017-09-07 19:12:44 UTC
Marco Atzeri
2017-09-07 19:56:56 UTC
Windows 10 64bit, Cygwin64, openmpi 1.10.7-1 (dev, c, c++, fortran), GCC
6.3.0-2 (core, gcc, g++, fortran)
$ mpicc -g hello_c.c -o hello_c
gcc -g hello_c.c -o hello_c -fexceptions -L/usr/lib -lmpi -lopen-rte -lopen-pal -lm -lgdi32
This successfully creates hello_c.exe. When I run it directly, it
performs as expected (The first time run brings up a Windows Firewall
$ ./hello_c
$ mpiexec -n 4 ./hello_c
$ ^C
Nothing is displayed and I have to ^C out. If I insert a puts("Start")
just before the call to MPI_Init(&argc, &argv), and a puts("MPI_Init
done.") just after, mpiexec will print "Start" for each process (4 times
for the above example) and then freeze. It is never returning from the
call to MPI_Init(...).
This is a freshly installed Cygwin64 and other non-mpi programs work
fine. Can anyone give me an idea of what is going on?
same here.
I will investigate to check if is a side effect of the
new 6.3.0-2 compiler or of the latest cygwin

Regards
Marco
Marco Atzeri
2017-09-09 06:31:37 UTC
Post by Marco Atzeri
Windows 10 64bit, Cygwin64, openmpi 1.10.7-1 (dev, c, c++, fortran),
GCC 6.3.0-2 (core, gcc, g++, fortran)
$ mpiexec -n 4 ./hello_c
$ ^C
Nothing is displayed and I have to ^C out. If I insert a puts("Start")
just before the call to MPI_Init(&argc, &argv), and a puts("MPI_Init
done.") just after, mpiexec will print "Start" for each process (4
times for the above example) and then freeze. It is never returning
from the call to MPI_Init(...).
This is a freshly installed Cygwin64 and other non-mpi programs work
fine. Can anyone give me an idea of what is going on?
same here.
I will investigate to check if is a side effect of the
 new 6.3.0-2 compiler or of the latest cygwin
I take back. It works fine.

$ cygcheck -cd openmpi cygwin gcc-core
Cygwin Package Information
Package Version
cygwin 2.9.0-2
gcc-core 6.3.0-2
openmpi 1.10.7-1

$ time mpirun -n 2 ./hello_c.exe
Hello, world, I am 0 of 2, (Open MPI v1.10.7, package: Open MPI
***@GE-MATZERI-EU Distribution, ident: 1.10.7, repo rev:
v1.10.6-48-g5e373bf, May 16, 2017, 129)
Hello, world, I am 1 of 2, (Open MPI v1.10.7, package: Open MPI
***@GE-MATZERI-EU Distribution, ident: 1.10.7, repo rev:
v1.10.6-48-g5e373bf, May 16, 2017, 129)

real 0m3.500s
user 0m1.309s
sys 0m2.851s

The most likely cause, that also caused my first reaction is some
network interface, usually a virtual one to be seen as active
but not operative.

In my case if the "PANGP Virtual Ethernet Adapter" is active
it causes mpirun/orterun to wait forever.

Looks at you network interface on

Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections

check for possible candidates and try disabling them.

Regards
Marco