[OMPI users] Specify the core binding when spawning a process
Allan Ma
2017-02-08 21:59:31 UTC
Hello,

I'm designing a program on a dual socket system that needs the parent
process and spawned child process to be at least running on (or bound to)
the cores of the same socket in the same node.

I wonder if anyone knows how to specify the core binding or socket binding
when spawning a single process using MPI_COMM_Spawn.

Currently I tried using the setting key 'host' in mpiinfo when passing it
to Spawn and it appears to be working, but I don't know how to specify
exactly the logical core number to run on. When I bind processes to sockets
when starting with mpirun, I used the -cpu-set option for setting to the
core number in the desired socket.

Also, I was just checking the manual here:

https://www.open-mpi.org/doc/v2.0/man3/MPI_Comm_spawn.3.php#toc7

I found there is a "mapper" key in the MPI_INFO that might be useful in my
case:

mapper char* Mapper to be used for this job

I wonder if there's any more detailed documentation or any example on how
to use this mapper key.

Thanks
r***@open-mpi.org
2017-02-15 14:37:01 UTC
Sorry for slow response - was away for awhile. What version of OMPI are you using?
https://www.open-mpi.org/doc/v2.0/man3/MPI_Comm_spawn.3.php#toc7 <https://www.open-mpi.org/doc/v2.0/man3/MPI_Comm_spawn.3.php#toc7>