[OMPI users] openmpi installation error
Vinay Mittal
2017-03-23 17:39:33 UTC
I need mpirun to run a genome assembler.

Linux installation of openmpi-2.1.0 stops during make all saying:

"Perl 5.006 required--this is only version 5.00503, stopped at
/usr/share/perl5/vars.pm line 3."

Is it really that Perl specific? I am following the standard installation
path without root access.

Thanks.

Vinay K. Mittal
Jeff Squyres (jsquyres)
2017-03-23 17:43:06 UTC
That's a pretty weird error. We don't require any specific version of perl that I'm aware of. Are you sure that it's Open MPI's installer that is kicking out the error?

Can you send all the information listed here:

https://www.open-mpi.org/community/help/
***@cisco.com
Renato Golin
2017-03-23 18:04:22 UTC
Post by Vinay Mittal
I need mpirun to run a genome assembler.
"Perl 5.006 required--this is only version 5.00503, stopped at
/usr/share/perl5/vars.pm line 3."
This looks like Perl's own verification process (inside vars.pm), and
a broken one at that.

Perl 5.005 is really old (98) and it's the minimal Perl you should
possibly be using. A quick look at Perl History [1] shows that there
is no such thing as Perl 5.006!

I suggest you clean up and upgrade your Perl installation before
trying to install OpenMPI again. :)

cheers,
--renato

[1] http://perldoc.perl.org/perlhist.html
Vinay Mittal
2017-03-24 14:59:33 UTC
Thanks Jeff and Renato for your help.
Renato,
You are right. Perl alias was pointing to somewhere else. I was able to
install openmpi using previous released version of it.

Thanks.

Vinay K. Mittal