[OMPI users] need help finding mpi for Raspberry pi Raspian Streach
Neil k8it
2018-05-29 22:43:35 UTC
I am starting to build a Raspberry pi cluster with MPI and I want to use the latest Raspian Streach Lite version from the raspberrypi.org website. After a lot of trials of watching youtubes on how to do this, I have found that the new version of Raspian Streach LITE is not compatible . I am looking for details instructions on how to install MPIwith this latest version of Raspian Streach Lite. I am using the newset hardware,RPI 3 B+ which requires this OS to use the features on the -new chipset

Thanks
Neil
Jeff Squyres (jsquyres)
2018-05-30 00:03:14 UTC
If your Linux distro does not have an Open MPI package readily available, you can build Open MPI from source for an RPi fairly easily. Something like this (not tested on an RPi / YMMV):

wget https://download.open-mpi.org/release/open-mpi/v3.1/openmpi-3.1.0.tar.bz2
tar xf openmpi-3.1.0.tar.bz2
cd openmpi-3.1.0
./configure |& tee config.out
make -j |& tee make.out
sudo make install |& tee install.out

This will download, configure, build, and install Open MPI into the /usr/local tree.

You can optionally specify a prefix to have it install elsewhere, e.g.:

./configure --prefix=/path/to/where/you/want/it/to/install |& tee config.out

Then do the make/sudo make again.
***@cisco.com
Gilles Gouaillardet
2018-05-30 00:26:54 UTC
Neil,

If that does not work, please compress and post your config.log

There used to be an issue with raspberry pi3 which is detected as an
ARMv8 processor but the raspbian compilers only generate

ARMv6 compatible binaries.

If such an issue occurs, you might want to

configure CFLAGS=-march=armv6 LDFLAGS=-march=armv6

and try again

FWIW, I run openSuSE Leap for aarch64 (e.g. native ARMv8 processor) and
have no issue building/using Open MPI

Cheers,

Gilles
John Hearns via users
2018-05-30 07:49:32 UTC
Forgive me for chipping in here. There is definitely a momentum behind the
ARM architecture in HPC.
However it seems to me that there are a lot of architectures under the
'ARM' umbrella.
Does anyone have a simplified guide to what they all mean?
Neil k8it
2018-05-31 01:03:32 UTC
ok here is a progress report.
first I want to thank you both for getting me this far.
gilles I think you were right about setting the CFLAGS and LDFLAGS
=-march=armv6
it got to the first make command and after about an hour going good, It
crashed when it started make 3.
I was going to compress and post the config.log file , but I can not find
it.
I checked /var/log folder.can somebody please tell me where this is located?

Thanks
73 Neil Sablatzky K8IT

Gilles Gouaillardet
2018-05-31 01:13:22 UTC
Neil,

config.log is in the directory in which you ran configure.

Please also compress and post the output of make

Cheers,

Gilles
Neil k8it
2018-05-31 22:05:11 UTC
Gilles
I sent you a off list e-mail. Please confirm that you reseceived it.
Thanks
Neil Sablatzky

Konstantinos Konstantinidis
2018-06-05 23:18:49 UTC
You should specify the MPI4py program file at the mpirun command. Since you
don't have a hostfile yet, you don't need to specify it in the command.

For example, in order to run a program named "test.py" with 4 MPI processes
you can use:

If using Python 2:
mpirun -np 4 python2 test.py

If using Python 3:
mpirun -np 4 python3 test.py
Kostas
I guess we made some progress,however I think I still have a syntax
problem.
Right now I am still configuring the master node ,so I do not have a
hostfile made yet.so I am using the following command which returns a
python message from an unknown python program.
mpirun --allow-run-as-root -np 4 hostname
python2helloworld.py
python2helloworld.py
python2helloworld.py
python2helloworld.py
this tells me that the program ran 4 times, 1 oer core.
this is good.
however I do not know where this program file is located. I also do not
know how this python 2 file gets invoked .
my question is :how can I modifly this command line to specifly the proper
python program?
thanks neil
*Subject:* Re: [OMPI users] need help installing mpi4py on openmpi
Here are some instructions I have put together.
I am using Python 2 and Open MPI 2.1.2 so I changed the commands to work
for Python 3 and I tested them.
Hope it helps.
Regards,
Kostas
thanks, to all on this list for getting me this far.
my next step is to install mpi4py on the cluster master node.
I am looking for a suggested list of commands to do this.
notes
running openmpi 3.1.0
raspberry pi 3 b +
raspian stretch