[OMPI users] [OMPI USERS] segmentation fault at startup
Alberto Ortiz
2017-09-08 10:13:09 UTC
I have a system running openmpi programs over archlinux. I had the programs
compiled and running on July when I was using the version 1.10.4 or .7 of
openmpi if I remember correctly. Just recently I updated the openmpi
version to 2.1.1 and tried running a compiled program and ran correctly.
The problem came when I tried compiling and running it again. Using mpicc
doesn't seem to give any problems, but when running the program with mpirun
it gives the next message:

mpirun noticed that process rank 0 with PID 0 on node alarm exited on
signal 11 (Segmentation fault).

I have tried putting a printf in the first line of the main function and it
doesn't reach that point, so I have assumed it must be a startup problem. I
have tried running simple programs that only say "hello world" and they run
correctly. What bothers me is that the same code compiled and ran correctly
with an earlier version of openmpi and now it doesn't.

If it helps I am running the programs with "sudo -H mpirun
--allow-run-as-root -hostfile hosts -n 8 main". I need to run it with root
privileges as I am combining SW with HW accelerators and I need to access
some files with root permissions in order to communicate with the HW
accelerators. There is no instantiation or use of those files until after
running some functions in the main program, so there should be no problem
or concern with that part.

Thank you in advance,
Alberto