[OMPI users] MPI the correct solution?
David Niklas
2017-05-08 21:25:07 UTC
Hello,
I originally ported this question at LQ, but the answer I got back shows
rather poor insight on the subject of MPI, so I'm taking the liberty of
posting here also.

https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?p=5707962

What I'm trying to do is figure out how/what to use to update an osm file
(open street map), in a cross system manner. I know the correct program
osmosis and for de/re-compression lbzip2 but how to do this across
computers is confusing me, even after a few hours of searching online.

See the LQ post for more details.

Thanks,
David
Reuti
2017-05-08 22:30:38 UTC
Post by David Niklas
Hello,
I originally ported this question at LQ, but the answer I got back shows
rather poor insight on the subject of MPI, so I'm taking the liberty of
posting here also.
https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?p=5707962
What I'm trying to do is figure out how/what to use to update an osm file
(open street map), in a cross system manner. I know the correct program
osmosis and for de/re-compression lbzip2 but how to do this across
computers is confusing me, even after a few hours of searching online.
lbzip2 is only thread parallel on a single machine. With pbzip2 you mention it's the same, but it exists an MPI version MPIBZIP2 - unfortunately it looks unmaintained since 2007. Maybe you can contact the author about its state. Without an MPI application like this, the MPI library is nothing on its own which would divide and distribute one task to several machines automatically.

osmosis itself seems to run in serial only (they don't say any word whether it uses any parallelism).

For the intended task the only option is to use a single machine with as many cores as possible AFAICS.

- -- Reuti
Jeff Squyres (jsquyres)
2017-05-08 22:35:55 UTC
FWIW, here's a screencast on "What is MPI?":

https://www.open-mpi.org/video/?category=general

Slides are available there, too, if you just want to breeze through them.
Post by David Niklas
Hello,
I originally ported this question at LQ, but the answer I got back shows
rather poor insight on the subject of MPI, so I'm taking the liberty of
posting here also.
https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?p=5707962
What I'm trying to do is figure out how/what to use to update an osm file
(open street map), in a cross system manner. I know the correct program
osmosis and for de/re-compression lbzip2 but how to do this across
computers is confusing me, even after a few hours of searching online.
See the LQ post for more details.
Thanks,
David
Jeff Squyres