[OMPI users] OMPI users] [OMPI USERS] Jumbo frames
Gilles Gouaillardet
2017-05-05 14:45:03 UTC
Alberto,

Are you saying the program hang even without jumbo frame (aka 1500 MTU) ?
At first, make sure there is no firewall running, and then you can try
mpirun --mca btl tcp,vader,self --mca oob_tcp_if_include eth0 --mca btl_tcp_if_include eth0 ...
(Replace eth0 with the interface name you want to use)

Cheers,

Gilles
I am using version 1.10.6 on archlinux.
The option I should pass to mpirun should then be "-mca btl_tcp_mtu 13000"? Just to be sure.
Thank you,
Alberto
If you are looking to use TCP packets, then you want to set the send/recv buffer size in the TCP btl, not the openib one, yes?
Also, what version of OMPI are you using?
Hi,
I have a program running with openMPI over a network using a gigabit switch. This switch supports jumbo frames up to 13.000 bytes, so, in order to test and see if it would be faster communicating with this frame lengths, I am trying to use them with my program. I have set the MTU in each node to be 13.000 but when running the program it doesn't even initiate, it gets blocked. I have tried different lengths from 1.500 up to 13.000 but it doesn't work with any length.
I have searched and only found that I have to set OMPI with "-mca btl_openib_ib_mtu 13000" or the length to be used, but I don't seem to get it working.
Which are the steps to get OMPI to use larger TCP packets length? Is it possible to reach 13000 bytes instead of the standard 1500?
Thank yo in advance,
Alberto