[OMPI users] Problem with connecting to 3 or more nodes
Chan, Elbert
2015-01-16 20:29:37 UTC
Hi

I'm hoping that someone will be able to help me figure out a problem with connecting to multiple nodes with v1.8.4.

Currently, I'm running into this issue:
$ mpirun --host host1 hostname
host1

$ mpirun --host host2,host3 hostname
host2
host3

Running this command on 1 or 2 nodes generates the expected result. However:
$ mpirun --host host1,host2,host3 hostname
Permission denied, please try again.
Permission denied, please try again.
Permission denied (publickey,password,keyboard-interactive).
ORTE was unable to reliably start one or more daemons.
This usually is caused by:

* not finding the required libraries and/or binaries on
one or more nodes. Please check your PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH
settings, or configure OMPI with --enable-orterun-prefix-by-default

* lack of authority to execute on one or more specified nodes.
Please verify your allocation and authorities.

* the inability to write startup files into /tmp (--tmpdir/orte_tmpdir_base).
Please check with your sys admin to determine the correct location to use.

* compilation of the orted with dynamic libraries when static are required
(e.g., on Cray). Please check your configure cmd line and consider using
one of the contrib/platform definitions for your system type.

* an inability to create a connection back to mpirun due to a
lack of common network interfaces and/or no route found between
them. Please check network connectivity (including firewalls
and network routing requirements).

This is set up with passwordless logins with passphrases/ssh-agent. When I run passphraseless, I get the expected result.

What am I doing wrong? What can I look at to see where my problem could be?

Elbert

--
********************************
Elbert Chan
********************************
Jeff Squyres (jsquyres)
2015-01-16 20:44:51 UTC
It's because Open MPI uses a tree-based ssh startup pattern.

(amusingly enough, I'm literally half way through writing up a blog entry about this exact same issue :-) )

That is, not only does Open MPI ssh from your mpirun-server to host1, Open MPI may also ssh from host1 to host2 (or host1 to host3).

In short, if you're not using a resource manager (such as Torque or SLURM), then you can't predict the ssh pattern, and you need passwordless/passphraseless ssh logins from each server to each other server.

Make sense?
Post by Chan, Elbert
[...]
Jeff Squyres
***@cisco.com