[OMPI users] Possible to exclude a hwloc_base_binding_policy?
Saurabh T
2018-04-20 17:52:51 UTC
Switching to OpenMPI 3, I was getting error messages of the form
"No objects of the specified type were found on at least one node:
Type: NUMANode
ORTE has lost communication with a remote daemon.
..."

After some research, I found that hwloc_base_binding_policy (for np > 2) switched to numa for OpenMPI v3 from socket for v2. This is seen from "ompi_info --param all all --level 9". I've verified the switch to numa is causing the failures. If I set it to socket, it works.

My question is, how can I set the variable in openmpi-mca-params.conf to exclude numa, ie. use whatever its rules are, except numa. I tried "hwloc_base_binding_policy = ^numa" (similar to say "btl = ^sm") but this didnt work. Is what I want possible, or should I live with socket policy for all cases?

Thank you.
saurabh