[OMPI users] can not compile Openmpi-3.0
abhisek Mondal
2018-04-03 04:06:48 UTC

I need some help regarding compiling Openmpi-3.0. I have perfectly working
C compiler, however, during configuration I'm keep getting this error:

*============================================================================*
*== Configuring Open MPI*
*============================================================================*

**** Startup tests*
*checking build system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu*
*checking host system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu*
*checking target system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu*
*checking for gcc... gcc*
*checking whether the C compiler works... yes*
*checking for C compiler default output file name... a.out*
*checking for suffix of executables... *
*checking whether we are cross compiling... configure: error: in
`/home/user/openmpi-2.0.4':*
*configure: error: cannot run C compiled programs.*
*If you meant to cross compile, use `--host'.*
*See `config.log' for more details*

I do not know waht is cross compiling but how can I avoid this error ?
Please help me out here.

Thanks
--
Abhisek Mondal

*Senior Research Fellow*

*Structural Biology and Bioinformatics Division*
*CSIR-Indian Institute of Chemical Biology*

*Kolkata 700032*

*INDIA*
Gilles Gouaillardet
2018-04-03 04:17:52 UTC
Can you please compress and attach your config.log ?

You might also want to double check you can compile *and* run a simple C
hello world program

Cheers,

Gilles
Post by abhisek Mondal
Hi,
I need some help regarding compiling Openmpi-3.0. I have perfectly
working C compiler, however, during configuration I'm keep getting
/============================================================================/
/== Configuring Open MPI/
/============================================================================/
/
/
abhisek Mondal
2018-04-03 04:22:21 UTC
Hello,

I have uploaded the config.log here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0B6O-L5Y7BiGJfmQ4N2FpblBEcFNxaDZnaGpsUFFEUlotVWFjajR0UFFHNk5aYlhoSHVTWkU
Post by Gilles Gouaillardet
Can you please compress and attach your config.log ?
You might also want to double check you can compile *and* run a simple C
hello world program
Cheers,
Gilles
Post by abhisek Mondal
Hi,
I need some help regarding compiling Openmpi-3.0. I have perfectly
working C compiler, however, during configuration I'm keep getting this
/===========================================================
=================/
/== Configuring Open MPI/
/===========================================================
=================/
/
/

*INDIA*
Gilles Gouaillardet
2018-04-03 04:38:13 UTC
This is the relevant part related to this error

configure:6620: checking whether we are cross compiling
configure:6628: gcc -o conftest    conftest.c  >&5
conftest.c:10:19: fatal error: stdio.h: No such file or directory
 #include <stdio.h>
                   ^
compilation terminated.
configure:6632: $? = 1
configure:6639: ./conftest
../configure: line 6641: ./conftest: No such file or directory
configure:6643: $? = 127

at the very least, you need to install the glibc-headers package

Cheers,

Gilles
Hello,
abhisek Mondal
2018-04-03 05:28:13 UTC
Hello,

Installing glibc moved the installation little bit but again stuck at
sanity check.
Location of config.log:
https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0B6O-L5Y7BiGJfmQ4N2FpblBEcFNxaDZnaGpsUFFEUlotVWFjajR0UFFHNk5aYlhoSHVTWkU

$ cpp --version
cpp (GCC) 4.8.5 20150623 (Red Hat 4.8.5-16)

I have gcc and gcc-c++ installed.

*INDIA*
Gilles Gouaillardet
2018-04-03 05:51:20 UTC
It looks like kernel-headers is required too

Cheers,

Gilles
Post by abhisek Mondal
Hello,
Installing glibc moved the installation little bit but again stuck at
sanity check.
https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0B6O-L5Y7BiGJfmQ4N2FpblBEcFNxaDZnaGpsUFFEUlotVWFjajR0UFFHNk5aYlhoSHVTWkU
$ cpp --version
cpp (GCC) 4.8.5 20150623 (Red Hat 4.8.5-16)
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
I have gcc and gcc-c++ installed.
On Tue, Apr 3, 2018 at 10:08 AM, Gilles Gouaillardet
[...]
On Tue, Apr 3, 2018 at 9:47 AM, Gilles Gouaillardet

abhisek Mondal
2018-04-03 06:51:44 UTC
Thanks a lot. Installing the headers worked like a charm !

I have a question though. Why does configuration says:

Version: 3.0.1
Build MPI C bindings: yes
Build MPI C++ bindings (deprecated): no
Build MPI Fortran bindings: mpif.h, use mpi
MPI Build Java bindings (experimental): no
Build Open SHMEM support: yes
Debug build: no
Platform file: (none)

Miscellaneous
-----------------------
*CUDA support: no*

I have a single GPU on my machine. Do I need to define it manually while
configuring openmpi?
Location of config.log: https://drive.google.com/drive

*INDIA*
Gilles Gouaillardet
2018-04-03 07:07:02 UTC
Did you install CUDA and where ?
Post by abhisek Mondal
Thanks a lot. Installing the headers worked like a charm !
 Version: 3.0.1
Build MPI C bindings: yes
Build MPI C++ bindings (deprecated): no
Build MPI Fortran bindings: mpif.h, use mpi
MPI Build Java bindings (experimental): no
Build Open SHMEM support: yes
Debug build: no
Platform file: (none)
Miscellaneous
-----------------------
*CUDA support: no*
*
*
*
*
I have a single GPU on my machine. Do I need to define it manually
while configuring openmpi?
On Tue, Apr 3, 2018 at 11:21 AM, Gilles Gouaillardet

abhisek Mondal
2018-04-03 07:12:51 UTC
I have cuda installed in /usr/local/cuda-8.0.
Post by abhisek Mondal
[...]
There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

*INDIA*
Gilles Gouaillardet
2018-04-03 07:24:46 UTC
In that case, you need to

configure --with-cuda=/usr/local/cuda-8.0

Cheers,

Gilles
Post by abhisek Mondal
I have cuda installed in /usr/local/cuda-8.0.
On Tue, Apr 3, 2018 at 12:37 PM, Gilles Gouaillardet

abhisek Mondal

*INDIA*
Douglas L Reeder

abhisek Mondal

*INDIA*
abhisek Mondal
2018-04-03 04:33:24 UTC
To be accurate, the error is:

[***@localhost build]# ../configure --prefix=/usr/local/openmpi-3.0
checking for perl... perl

== Configuring Open MPI

*** Startup tests
checking build system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
checking host system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
checking target system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
*checking whether we are cross compiling... configure: error: in
`/home/user/openmpi-3.0.1/build':*
configure: error: cannot run C compiled programs.
If you meant to cross compile, use `--host'.
See `config.log' for more details

I had installed openmpi-3.0 before and removed it for some reason. While
reinstalling I'm getting this error. Is there any thing left during
removing older installation that is creating problem ?