[OMPI users] Wrapper Compilers
Jadson Silva
2018-10-25 18:03:47 UTC
Hello,

I would like to know if when we install OpenMPI the wrapper compilers are also installed.

When I try to compiler the 'hello' examples I get the following message:

The program 'mpic++' can be found in the following packages:
* lam4-dev
* libmpich-dev
* libopenmpi-dev

Should I just install one of those packages?

Regards.
Reuti
2018-10-25 21:30:38 UTC
Post by Jadson Silva
Hello,
I would like to know if when we install OpenMPI the wrapper compilers are also installed.
* lam4-dev
* libmpich-dev
* libopenmpi-dev
Should I just install one of those packages?
If you compile Open MPI on your own, your get both: the runtime environment (i.e. dynamic libraries and certain commands like `mpiexec`) and the compiler wrappers including the necessary header files. In case it's delivered precompiled by a Linux distribution, they often split the packages to contain the runtime parts in one packages and the development tools in an additional package.

If you use these delivered libraries and installed the runtime environment also with the package manager of your distribution, I would suggest to install "libopenmpi-dev" (and only this one to avoid conflicts with wrappers from other MPI implementations).

-- Reuti

PS: Interesting that they still include LAM/MPI, which was superseded by Open MPI some time ago.
Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) via users
2018-10-26 10:59:32 UTC
Post by Reuti
Post by Jadson Silva
* lam4-dev
* libmpich-dev
* libopenmpi-dev
PS: Interesting that they still include LAM/MPI, which was superseded by Open MPI some time ago.
ZOMG. As one of the last LAM/MPI developers, please do not install LAM/MPI! We did, indeed, kill it many years ago because Open MPI replaced it.

Which Linux distro/version is this? I'd like to write to the package maintainers to get them to remove LAM/MPI from their packages...
--
Jeff Squyres
***@cisco.com