[OMPI users] "No objects of the specified type were found on at least one node"?
Angel de Vicente
2017-03-09 08:29:41 UTC

I'm trying to get OpenMPI running in a new machine, and I came accross
an error message that I hadn't seen before.

,----
| ***@login1:> mpirun -np 1 ./code config.txt
| No objects of the specified type were found on at least one node:
|
| Type: Package
| Node: login1
|
| The map cannot be done as specified.
`----

Some details: in this machine we have gcc_6.0.3, and with it I installed
OpenMPI (v. 2.0.1). The compilation of OpenMPI went without (obvious)
errors, and I managed to compile my code without problems (if instead
of "mpirun -np 1 ./code" I just run the code directly there are no
issues).

But if I try to use mpirun in the login node of the cluster I get this
message. If I submit the job to the scheduler (the cluster uses slurm) I
get the same messsage, but the Node information is obviously different,
giving the name of one of the compute nodes.

Any pointers as to what can be going on? Many thanks,
--
Ángel de Vicente
http://www.iac.es/galeria/angelv/
WARNING: For more information on privacy and fulfilment of the Law concerning the Protection of Data, consult http://www.iac.es/disclaimer.php?lang=en
Gilles Gouaillardet
2017-03-09 09:55:07 UTC
which version of ompi are you running ?

this error can occur on systems with no NUMA object (e.g. single socket
with hwloc < 2)
as a workaround, you can
mpirun --map-by socket ...

iirc, this has been fixed

Cheers,

Gilles
Hi,

--------------
`----
Angel de Vicente
2017-03-09 11:01:47 UTC
Post by Gilles Gouaillardet
which version of ompi are you running ?
2.0.1
Post by Gilles Gouaillardet
this error can occur on systems with no NUMA object (e.g. single
socket with hwloc < 2)
as a workaround, you can
mpirun --map-by socket ...
with --map-by socket I get exactly the same issue (both in the login and
the compute node)

I will upgrade to 2.0.2 and see if this changes something.

Thanks,