[OMPI users] centos 7.2 openmpi from repo, stdout issue
Emre Brookes
2016-10-05 13:23:03 UTC
$ cat /etc/redhat-release
CentOS Linux release 7.2.1511 (Core)

$ yum list installed | grep openmpi
openmpi.x86_64 1.10.0-10.el7 @base
openmpi-devel.x86_64 1.10.0-10.el7 @base

(1) When I run
$ mpirun -H myhosts -np myprocs executable
the job runs fine and outputs correctly to stdout

(2) When I run
$ mpirun -H myhosts -np myprocs executable > stdout.log
The stdout.log file prematurely ends (without full output)
... but the mpi executable itself seems to keep running forever until
manually terminated will a "kill".

(3) When I run
$ mpirun -H myhosts -np myprocs executable | cat > stdout.log
the job runs fine and outputs correctly to the stdout.log file

I tried playing with a 'stdbuf' prefix to the command, but this didn't
seem to help
I would like (2) to work, but have resorted to (3).

I tried digging around in the parameters after seeing
https://github.com/open-mpi/ompi/issues/341
and thinking it might be something similar, but didn't see any poll or
epoll in .conf
I am hesitant to try to compile from scratch and get away from the repo
release cycle.

Is this a known bug?
If so, and if it has been fixed, would you recommend I install the
latest stable rpm of 1.10.4-1 from
https://www.open-mpi.org/software/ompi/v1.10/ ?

Thanks,
Emre
Jeff Squyres (jsquyres)

Emre Brookes
Emre Brookes
2016-10-11 15:32:05 UTC
FYI -

We upgraded to Open MPI 2.0.1 and this resolved the issue.

Of course, it was not so simple to get there, as the Centos 7.2 default
gcc (4.8.4) produced "internal compiler error" when recompiling NAMD
with OMPI 2.0.1 and 1.10.4. So we had to install a newer compiler. One
interesting result was the OMPI + NAMD performance comparisons with
various gcc versions. gcc 5.4.0 significantly outperformed gcc 6.2.0 on
our tests...