[OMPI users] Building OpenMPI on Raspberry Pi 2
Jeff Layton
2015-05-29 12:11:12 UTC
Good morning,

I'm building OpenMPI from source on a Raspberry Pi 2 and
I've hit an error. The error is:

make[2]: Entering directory '/work/pi/src/openmpi-1.8.5/opal/asm'
CPPAS atomic-asm.lo
atomic-asm.S: Assembler messages:
atomic-asm.S:7: Error: selected processor does not support ARM mode `dmb'
atomic-asm.S:15: Error: selected processor does not support ARM mode `dmb'
atomic-asm.S:23: Error: selected processor does not support ARM mode `dmb'
atomic-asm.S:55: Error: selected processor does not support ARM mode `dmb'
atomic-asm.S:70: Error: selected processor does not support ARM mode `dmb'
atomic-asm.S:86: Error: selected processor does not support ARM mode
`ldrexd r4,r5,[r0]'
atomic-asm.S:91: Error: selected processor does not support ARM mode
`strexd r1,r6,r7,[r0]'
atomic-asm.S:107: Error: selected processor does not support ARM mode
`ldrexd r4,r5,[r0]'
atomic-asm.S:112: Error: selected processor does not support ARM mode
`strexd r1,r6,r7,[r0]'
atomic-asm.S:115: Error: selected processor does not support ARM mode `dmb'
atomic-asm.S:130: Error: selected processor does not support ARM mode
`ldrexd r4,r5,[r0]'
atomic-asm.S:135: Error: selected processor does not support ARM mode `dmb'
atomic-asm.S:136: Error: selected processor does not support ARM mode
`strexd r1,r6,r7,[r0]'
Makefile:1608: recipe for target 'atomic-asm.lo' failed
make[2]: *** [atomic-asm.lo] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory '/work/pi/src/openmpi-1.8.5/opal/asm'
Makefile:2149: recipe for target 'all-recursive' failed
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/work/pi/src/openmpi-1.8.5/opal'
Makefile:1698: recipe for target 'all-recursive' failed
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

I was doing some googling and I saw where I need to specify
CCFLAGS when I run configure but I want to make 100% sure
I have the right arguments. Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Jeff

P.S. I'd rather build OpenMPI from source rather than use the pre-built
packages in the Raspbian repository.
Gilles Gouaillardet
2015-05-29 13:21:29 UTC
Jeff,

shall I assume you made a typo and wrote CCFLAGS instead of CFLAGS ?

also, can you double check the flags are correctly passed to the assembler
with
cd opal/asm
make -n atomic-asm.lo

Cheers,

Gilles
Jeff Layton
2015-05-29 13:35:02 UTC
Gilles,

oops - yes, CFLAGS. But I also saw this posting:

https://www.open-mpi.org/community/lists/users/2013/01/21111.php

where CCASFLAGS is used (I assume because for asm). I'm trying
this flag when I configure Open MPI.

Thanks!

Jeff
Jeff Layton
2015-05-29 14:09:30 UTC
Post by Jeff Layton
Gilles,
https://www.open-mpi.org/community/lists/users/2013/01/21111.php
where CCASFLAGS is used (I assume because for asm). I'm trying
this flag when I configure Open MPI.
I tried using the CCASFLAGS flag from the above link and it didn't work.
The error
now reads:

Making all in mca/memory/linux
make[2]: Entering directory
'/work/pi/src/openmpi-1.8.5/opal/mca/memory/linux'
CC memory_linux_component.lo
CC memory_linux_ptmalloc2.lo
CC memory_linux_munmap.lo
CC malloc.lo
/tmp/cc7g4mWi.s: Assembler messages:
/tmp/cc7g4mWi.s:948: Error: selected processor does not support ARM mode
`dmb'
Makefile:1694: recipe for target 'malloc.lo' failed
make[2]: *** [malloc.lo] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory
'/work/pi/src/openmpi-1.8.5/opal/mca/memory/linux'
Makefile:2149: recipe for target 'all-recursive' failed
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/work/pi/src/openmpi-1.8.5/opal'
Makefile:1698: recipe for target 'all-recursive' failed
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

I used the configure flag CCASFLAGS=-march=armv7-a

Not sure if that is correct or not. I'm guessing I'm using the wrong
architecture for the Pi 2. Suggestions?

Thanks!

Jeff
George Bosilca

Jeff Layton
2015-05-29 18:17:39 UTC
George,

I changed my configure command to be:

./configure CCASFLAGS=-march=native

and I get an error while running configure:

*** Assembler
checking dependency style of gcc -std=gnu99... gcc3
checking for BSD- or MS-compatible name lister (nm)... /usr/bin/nm -B
checking the name lister (/usr/bin/nm -B) interface... BSD nm
checking for fgrep... /bin/grep -F
checking if need to remove -g from CCASFLAGS... no
checking whether to enable smp locks... yes
checking if .proc/endp is needed... no
checking directive for setting text section... .text
checking directive for exporting symbols... .globl
checking for objdump... objdump
checking if .note.GNU-stack is needed... yes
checking suffix for labels... :
checking prefix for global symbol labels... none
configure: error: Could not determine global symbol label prefix

Not sure why configure failed at this point.

Thanks!

Jeff
Post by George Bosilca
As you are not cross-compiling I would expect gcc to use the right
assembly by default. What is happening is you force the native mode
(-march=native) ?
George.
Gilles,
Jeff Squyres (jsquyres)
2015-05-30 10:46:33 UTC
Can you send the output of "make V=1"?

That will show the exact command line that is being used to build that file.
Post by Jeff Layton
George,
[...]
Post by Jeff Layton
Gilles,
https://www.open-mpi.org/community/lists/users/2013/01/21111.php
where CCASFLAGS is used (I assume because for asm). I'm trying
this flag when I configure Open MPI.
I tried using the CCASFLAGS flag from the above link and it didn't work. The error
Making all in mca/memory/linux
make[2]: Entering directory '/work/pi/src/openmpi-1.8.5/opal/mca/memory/linux'
CC memory_linux_component.lo
CC memory_linux_ptmalloc2.lo
CC memory_linux_munmap.lo
CC malloc.lo
/tmp/cc7g4mWi.s:948: Error: selected processor does not support ARM mode `dmb'
Makefile:1694: recipe for target 'malloc.lo' failed
make[2]: *** [malloc.lo] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory '/work/pi/src/openmpi-1.8.5/opal/mca/memory/linux'
Post by Jeff Layton
[...]
Jeff Squyres
***@cisco.com
Jeff Layton
2015-05-30 13:42:59 UTC
Jeff,

The error happens during the configure step before compiling.
However, I ran the make command as you indicated and I'm
attaching the output to this email.

Thanks!

Jeff
Post by Jeff Squyres (jsquyres)
Can you send the output of "make V=1"?
That will show the exact command line that is being used to build that file.
Post by Jeff Layton
George,
[...]
Gilles,
Jeff Squyres (jsquyres)
2015-06-01 14:49:48 UTC
Post by Jeff Layton
The error happens during the configure step before compiling.
Hmm -- I'm confused. You show output from "make" in your previous mails...?
Post by Jeff Layton
However, I ran the make command as you indicated and I'm
attaching the output to this email.
Ok, thanks. Here's the problematic compile command:

-----
gcc -std=gnu99 -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../../opal/include -I../../orte/include -I../../ompi/include -I../../oshmem/include -I../../opal/mca/hwloc/hwloc191/hwloc/include/private/autogen -I../../opal/mca/hwloc/hwloc191/hwloc/include/hwloc/autogen -I../.. -I/work/pi/src/openmpi-1.8.5/opal/mca/hwloc/hwloc191/hwloc/include -I/work/pi/src/openmpi-1.8.5/opal/mca/event/libevent2021/libevent -I/work/pi/src/openmpi-1.8.5/opal/mca/event/libevent2021/libevent/include -march=armv7 -MT atomic-asm.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/atomic-asm.Tpo -c atomic-asm.S -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/atomic-asm.o
-----

Stripping out the -D's and -I's which aren't important for this discussion, we're left with:

-----
gcc -std=gnu99 -march=armv7 -MT atomic-asm.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/atomic-asm.Tpo -c atomic-asm.S -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/atomic-asm.o
-----

So it looks like the -march=armv7 is, indeed, the problematic switch.

FWIW, a few lines above it, this line succeeded:

-----
gcc -std=gnu99 -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../../opal/include -I../../orte/include -I../../ompi/include -I../../oshmem/include -I../../opal/mca/hwloc/hwloc191/hwloc/include/private/autogen -I../../opal/mca/hwloc/hwloc191/hwloc/include/hwloc/autogen -I../.. -I/work/pi/src/openmpi-1.8.5/opal/mca/hwloc/hwloc191/hwloc/include -I/work/pi/src/openmpi-1.8.5/opal/mca/event/libevent2021/libevent -I/work/pi/src/openmpi-1.8.5/opal/mca/event/libevent2021/libevent/include -O3 -DNDEBUG -finline-functions -fno-strict-aliasing -pthread -MT asm.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/asm.Tpo -c asm.c -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/asm.o
-----

Which, as you notice, does *not* have the -march=armv7 token (because it's compiling a C file, not an assembly file).
Post by Jeff Layton
Post by Jeff Layton
I used the configure flag CCASFLAGS=-march=armv7-a
Not sure if that is correct or not. I'm guessing I'm using the wrong
architecture for the Pi 2. Suggestions?
What happens if you don't supply CCASFLAGS at all?
--
Jeff Squyres
***@cisco.com
Jeff Layton
2015-06-08 16:48:29 UTC
Jeff,

Sorry - I was traveling for a week and didn't have to the RPi.
Post by Jeff Squyres (jsquyres)
What happens if you don't supply CCASFLAGS at all?
The output from "make" is below. It died when it tried to compile
atomic-local. It says the processor doesn't support ARM mode "dmb".

Thanks!

Jeff

***@raspberrypi /work/pi/src/openmpi-1.8.5 $ make
Making all in config
make[1]: Entering directory '/work/pi/src/openmpi-1.8.5/config'
make[1]: Nothing to be done for 'all'.
make[1]: Leaving directory '/work/pi/src/openmpi-1.8.5/config'
Making all in contrib
make[1]: Entering directory '/work/pi/src/openmpi-1.8.5/contrib'
make[1]: Nothing to be done for 'all'.
make[1]: Leaving directory '/work/pi/src/openmpi-1.8.5/contrib'
Making all in opal
make[1]: Entering directory '/work/pi/src/openmpi-1.8.5/opal'
Making all in include
make[2]: Entering directory '/work/pi/src/openmpi-1.8.5/opal/include'
make all-am
make[3]: Entering directory '/work/pi/src/openmpi-1.8.5/opal/include'
make[3]: Leaving directory '/work/pi/src/openmpi-1.8.5/opal/include'
make[2]: Leaving directory '/work/pi/src/openmpi-1.8.5/opal/include'
Making all in asm
make[2]: Entering directory '/work/pi/src/openmpi-1.8.5/opal/asm'
CC asm.lo
rm -f atomic-asm.S
ln -s "../../opal/asm/generated/atomic-local.s" atomic-asm.S
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
Gilles Gouaillardet
2015-06-09 05:58:59 UTC
Jeff,

dmb is available only on ARMv7 (Pi 2)

if i remember correctly, you are building Open MPI on ARMv7 as well (Pi 2),
so this is not a cross compilation issue.

if you configure with -march=armv7, the relevant log is
libtool: compile: gcc -std=gnu99 -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I.
-I../../opal/include -I../../orte/include -I../../ompi/include
-I../../oshmem/include
-I../../opal/mca/hwloc/hwloc191/hwloc/include/private/autogen
-I../../opal/mca/hwloc/hwloc191/hwloc/include/hwloc/autogen -I../..
-I/work/pi/src/openmpi-1.8.5/opal/mca/hwloc/hwloc191/hwloc/include
-I/work/pi/src/openmpi-1.8.5/opal/mca/event/libevent2021/libevent
-I/work/pi/src/openmpi-1.8.5/opal/mca/event/libevent2021/libevent/include -march=armv7
-MT atomic-asm.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/atomic-asm.Tpo -c atomic-asm.S
-fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/atomic-asm.o^M
atomic-asm.S:1:0: error: target CPU does not support ARM mode

which is very puzzling ...

can you confirm
1) you are not cross compiling
2) your gcc can generate code for armv7 ?

Cheers,

Gilles
Jeff Layton
2015-06-09 12:05:21 UTC
Gilles,

I'm not cross-compiling - I'm building on the Pi 2.

I'm not sure how to check if gcc can generate armv7 code.
I'm using Raspbian and I'm just using the default compilers
that come with it (I think it's gcc 4.6.3).

[...]

atomic-asm.S -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/atomic-asm.o^M
Gilles Gouaillardet
2015-06-09 13:19:30 UTC
Jeff,

can you
gcc -march=armv7-a foo.c

Cheers,

Gilles
Gilles Gouaillardet
2015-06-09 13:40:57 UTC
Jeff,

btw, did you try a pI 1 before a pi2 ?

I checked some forums, and you will likely have to upgrade gcc to 4.8

a simpler option could be linaro
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=98997

Cheers,

Gilles
Jeff Layton
2015-06-09 16:50:03 UTC
Gilles,

No I didn't. This is a fresh Raspbian for the Pi 2. I'm using the
05-05-raspbian-wheezy image, plus I did ant apt-get update
about a week ago.

Thanks!

Jeff
Post by Gilles Gouaillardet
Jeff,
btw, did you try a pI 1 before a pi2 ?
I checked some forums, and you will likely have to upgrade gcc to 4.8
a simpler option could be linaro
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=98997
Cheers,
Gilles
On Tuesday, June 9, 2015, Gilles Gouaillardet
Jeff,
can you
gcc -march=armv7-a foo.c
Cheers,
Gilles
Jeff Layton

make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
Jeff Layton
2015-06-09 17:18:37 UTC
Gilles,

I was looking in Raspbian a little and do you know what I found?
When I do "gcc -v" it says it was built with "--with-arch=armv6".
Since I'm trying to compile on a Pi 2, doesn't this mean I'm
cross-compiling?

make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
Gilles Gouaillardet
2015-06-10 00:05:00 UTC
Jeff,

Raspbian is built for armv6
(unlike linaro which is built for armv7)

that being said, you are running on an armv7 cpu, so i am not sure
"cross-compiling"
is appropriate. (e.g. if you run a 32 bits gcc binary on an x86_64 os to
build a x86_64 binary,
is this called cross compilation ?)

my guess is raspbian gcc 4.6 is not able to compile for armv7, even with
some extra flags.

can you try
sudo apt-get install gcc-4.8 g++-4.8
and configure with CC=gcc48 CXX=g++48
(or whatever the gcc 4.8 compiler name is)

if that works, i will think of updating configure so it fails with an
understandable error message
when building for armv6

Cheers,

Gilles
Jeff Layton
2015-06-10 19:28:39 UTC
Gilles,

I installed the 4.8 series of compilers on the Pi 2 (gcc, g++, and
gfortran).
I did a fresh untar of openmpi-1.8.5. I set the environment variables
CC, CXX, and FC to point to the 4.8 compilers. However, the build failed
again.

[...]

I checked the gcc build:

***@raspberrypi /work/pi/src/openmpi-1.8.5 $ gcc-4.8 -v
Using built-in specs.
COLLECT_GCC=gcc-4.8
COLLECT_LTO_WRAPPER=/usr/lib/gcc/arm-linux-gnueabihf/4.8/lto-wrapper
Target: arm-linux-gnueabihf
Configured with: ../src/configure -v --with-pkgversion='Raspbian
4.8.2-21~rpi3rpi1'
--with-bugurl=file:///usr/share/doc/gcc-4.8/README.Bugs
--enable-languages=c,c++,java,go,d,fortran,objc,obj-c++ --prefix=/usr
--program-suffix=-4.8 --enable-shared --enable-linker-build-id
--libexecdir=/usr/lib --without-included-gettext --enable-threads=posix
--with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/include/c++/4.8 --libdir=/usr/lib
--enable-nls --with-sysroot=/ --enable-clocale=gnu
--enable-libstdcxx-debug --enable-libstdcxx-time=yes
--enable-gnu-unique-object --disable-libmudflap --disable-libitm
--disable-libquadmath --enable-plugin --with-system-zlib
--disable-browser-plugin --enable-java-awt=gtk --enable-gtk-cairo
--with-java-home=/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-gcj-4.8-armhf/jre
--enable-java-home
--with-jvm-root-dir=/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-gcj-4.8-armhf
--with-jvm-jar-dir=/usr/lib/jvm-exports/java-1.5.0-gcj-4.8-armhf
--with-arch-directory=arm --with-ecj-jar=/usr/share/java/eclipse-ecj.jar
--enable-objc-gc --enable-multiarch --disable-sjlj-exceptions
--with-arch=armv6 --with-fpu=vfp --with-float=hard
--enable-checking=release --build=arm-linux-gnueabihf
--host=arm-linux-gnueabihf --target=arm-linux-gnueabihf
Thread model: posix
gcc version 4.8.2 (Raspbian 4.8.2-21~rpi3rpi1)

Looks like it was built with armv6 again. (ugh)

I also checked the Makefile to ensure I was using the correct compilers:

AWK = mawk
BASH = /bin/bash
CC = /usr/bin/gcc-4.8 -std=gnu99
CCAS = /usr/bin/gcc-4.8 -std=gnu99
CCASDEPMODE = depmode=gcc3
CCASFLAGS = -O3 -DNDEBUG -finline-functions -fno-strict-aliasing
CCDEPMODE = depmode=gcc3
CFLAGS = -O3 -DNDEBUG -finline-functions -fno-strict-aliasing -pthread
CFLAGS_WITHOUT_OPTFLAGS = -DNDEBUG -fno-strict-aliasing -pthread
CLEANFILES = *~ .\#*
CONFIGURE_DEPENDENCIES = $(top_srcdir)/VERSION
CPP = /usr/bin/gcc-4.8 -E
CPPFLAGS = -I$(top_srcdir)
-I/work/pi/src/openmpi-1.8.5/opal/mca/hwloc/hwloc191/h
wloc/include
-I/work/pi/src/openmpi-1.8.5/opal/mca/event/libevent2021/libevent -I/w
ork/pi/src/openmpi-1.8.5/opal/mca/event/libevent2021/libevent/include
CXX = /usr/bin/g++-4.8
CXXCPP = /usr/bin/g++-4.8 -E
CXXCPPFLAGS = -I$(top_srcdir)
CXXDEPMODE = depmode=gcc3
CXXFLAGS = -O3 -DNDEBUG -finline-functions -pthread
CYGPATH_W = echo
DEBUGGER_CFLAGS = -g
DEFS = -DHAVE_CONFIG_H
DEPDIR = .deps